The Hektor Heresy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunder Kings Campaigns and Battles

4 posters

Go down

Thunder Kings Campaigns and Battles Empty Thunder Kings Campaigns and Battles

Post by TwistofCain Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:40 pm

This page will be for any discussion related to battles or campaigns undertaken by the 11th Legiones Astartes, the Thunder Kings. Most are not yet finalized; any suggestions welcome. Assume for the time that anything can be changed.

The Great Scar:

The Harvest of Gold:

The Zoth Worlds Campaign (currently needs editing for grammar):

The Black Moon Sundering:

Last edited by TwistofCain on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated Crannorga)
TwistofCain
TwistofCain

Back to top Go down

Thunder Kings Campaigns and Battles Empty Re: Thunder Kings Campaigns and Battles

Post by Uriel Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:47 pm

Sorry I missed this post somehow, but I caught it today, so lets have a look.

Thunder Kings verses Thunder Warriors
Was a bit confusing at first, given the similarities in names which is found in real life but usually avoided in fiction.
One pertinent question though: you mentioned the Thunder Warriors as renegade, when do they go renegade and why?
Are they just renegades from the Merican Hive campaign?

I like the reality check of "perception is everything", ie whether or not they were involved with the renegades, the TK's image is permanently tarnished just by the way social stigma works.
One thing on that however, I'm not sure all the legions would deride the TK for using their similarity in appearance to the Thunder Warriors as bad - deception is a valid tactic in warfare, and can save many lives if pulled off successfully. There is certainly some legions who would be in favour of such moves.

The Harvest of Gold

Pretty nifty, although a year to conquer one system is a really long time. The VA under Lumey manage to conquer 1000 sectors in a single year.
Having read it through again, I don't think the Harvest of Gold's story is broken by shortening that period - planetary invasions aren't going to be like nations fighting as the attack can deploy everywhere. So the false impression the Thurmanni get from Brennus' trick would plausibly happen much much earlier.

Also, there are some issues my brain had with the Heavy Support drop encirclement. Mainly in the fact that those forces, if destined for a planetary system, are going to be a huge number of fighting men. Dropping down to encircle them would make the encircirclement thousands of miles around, like imagine dropping a ring of soldiers around the USA...
At that point the forces encircling those within are at the disadvantage unless they vastly outnumber the surrounded forces.
A solution is to have the TK drop multiple chapter sized forces to undertake the encirclements of multiple staging areas of Thurmanni.
Maybe throw in justification for the move, that deploying forces directly to the ground for a ground offensive would have left the TK ships vulnerable to the planetary void-defences for too long or something. A quick strike makes sense if a concerted effort would be too costly.

Zoth Worlds Campaign

farm planet
would be Agri-World in Imperial-speak

The story is certainly got some craziness to it! I think it works, although some aspects trouble me.
Notably, why does Brennus so readily agree to keep Aubreys secret? Not wanting to alienate the first to stand beside him makes sense up to a point, but with the xenos-loving of Aubrey being fundamentally anathema to the Imperium, it wouldn't take much for Brennus to come to the conclusion that his other brothers aren't worth losing respect from over something that isn't his belief or choice.
It can be mostly explained away if there is more time and detail on Brennus' deliberations on the subject - have him be vexed by the development and that can allow some other human emotion to be explored as he tries to rationalise it/decide what to do.

The other thing is Brennus doesn't seem at all sure of himself. He agrees to the above as covered, and he later allows himself to be drawn into folly by Aubrey with the Kath. Although with the Kath he retains some trust in his gut and takes contingency measures with the Mannan Drak shadowing them, it's still going on with something he adamantly didn't believe in.
Maybe you want the angle of not being entirely sure of himself enough to challenge his brothers, if so play that up. If not, have Aubrey do some placating or negotiating or something.

It's interesting though, despite the reservations made above, it has me wanting to read about it in a full story, so good job!

Black Moon Sundering
Catchy title, if on the wiki I think it should be listed as Ostium for clarity, but a compromise could be to borrow a line from films & games and do a double barreled title. Something like "Black Moon Sundering: Ostium"
Thats a minor quibble anyway.

Its good content, but as I'm sure you know, its in need of updating now. If I remember correctly the Entombed are no longer at Ostium, is that correct?

So overall a few grammar mistakes/typos here and there, but it looks pretty good otherwise. I genuinely look forward to reading more!
Uriel
Uriel
Admin

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_/tg/_Heresy

Back to top Go down

Thunder Kings Campaigns and Battles Empty Re: Thunder Kings Campaigns and Battles

Post by TwistofCain Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:30 am

Uriel wrote:Thunder Kings verses Thunder Warriors
Why are they renegades? Hmm, interesting question. In my brain, it was because they somehow found out about the Emperor's plan to replace them with the Astartes, but I didn't really have a good explanation. I suppose I should work on that...renegades from the Merican Hive Campaign isn't a bad idea.

"perception is everything"
True, probably not all the legions would deride them for this. But some of the most prominent, I feel, likely would. Although, I have to wonder what the Wolves of Dawn would feel in regards to the Eleventh.

The Harvest of Gold

The reason I wanted it to last a year (+1 or 2 weeks) Was out of a desire to show Brennus bonding with his Legion. Before this, they are totally spread out, not unified at all. The year that Brennus takes is mostly to bond with the men and, to some extent, integrate them with Alessian culture.

Heavy support
That makes a lot of sense. I will rewrite that asap.

Zoth Worlds Campaign

Why DOES Brennus agree to that so readily? That was something I didn't consider. I'll have to think about a lot of this, perhaps re-do some things.

As far as Brennus not being sure of himself, I did want to have SOME of that in there. But it seems like there may be too much, so I will fiddle with that,

Black Moon Sundering
Yeah, this is requiring a total rewrite, essentially. I would rather I did not have to do so, but circumstances necessitate it.
TwistofCain
TwistofCain

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Captain Kitten Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:07 pm

Zoth Worlds Campaign

Keep in mind the Kath are essentially Xenomorphs from Aliens, but less aggressive and more scheming. Their method of reproduction follows the same spirit of the Xenomorphs which is an analogy for rape. (No, seriously. "This is a movie about alien interspecies rape," Alien Evolution, in the Alien Quadrilogy box set) I am surprised Aubrey overlooked this in order to accommodate these xenos, and the story lacks emphasis on Brennus disgust for the aliens. Even the suggestion to 'use human prisoners' is disgusting when put in these terms. It's essentially saying "These predatory-parasitic xenos are more valuable than our own lawless human beings." which seems a poor argument to use to convince Brennus.

Lord Captain Kitten

Back to top Go down

Post by Uriel Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:11 pm

Lord Captain Kitten wrote:
Zoth Worlds Campaign

Keep in mind the Kath are essentially Xenomorphs from Aliens, but less aggressive and more scheming. Their method of reproduction follows the same spirit of the Xenomorphs which is an analogy for rape. (No, seriously. "This is a movie about alien interspecies rape,"  Alien Evolution, in the Alien Quadrilogy box set) I am surprised Aubrey overlooked this in order to accommodate these xenos, and the story lacks emphasis on Brennus disgust for the aliens. Even the suggestion to 'use human prisoners' is disgusting when put in these terms. It's essentially saying "These predatory-parasitic xenos are more valuable than  our own lawless human beings." which seems a poor argument to use to convince Brennus.

You are thinking of the Yaotl, I believe.
Uriel
Uriel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TwistofCain Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:02 am

Lord Captain Kitten wrote:
Zoth Worlds Campaign

Keep in mind the Kath are essentially Xenomorphs from Aliens, but less aggressive and more scheming. Their method of reproduction follows the same spirit of the Xenomorphs which is an analogy for rape. (No, seriously. "This is a movie about alien interspecies rape,"  Alien Evolution, in the Alien Quadrilogy box set) I am surprised Aubrey overlooked this in order to accommodate these xenos, and the story lacks emphasis on Brennus disgust for the aliens. Even the suggestion to 'use human prisoners' is disgusting when put in these terms. It's essentially saying "These predatory-parasitic xenos are more valuable than  our own lawless human beings." which seems a poor argument to use to convince Brennus.

I agree with you regarding it showing the lack of Brennus' disgust. I'm currently mulling over ideas on how to change it; I just haven't had a good one yet. I think they are sufficiently different from Xenomorphs, though; their method of reproduction is way less rapey (no facehuggers). Their appearance is a mite too similar, but I can fix that.

And why the hell does my signature not show up in any of my posts, damnit?
TwistofCain
TwistofCain

Back to top Go down

Post by TwistofCain Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:39 am

Ok, some ideas:

1. At first, Brennus is adamant abut telling the Emperor about Aubrey's Xenos, but the ole wiley Gray bastard puts Brennus off his footing with a sob story (because, well, he kind of really does have a legit one). That softens Brennus' heart enough that he agrees to keep the whole mess to himself.

2. Rather that Aubs suggesting that prisoners be given to the Kath, perhaps he mentions instead that lower level Kath infestation (the kind where you don't fully turn into one) can actually cure mutations, that a side effect is a purification of the human gene-code. Is this the truth? Maybe, maybe not. I was originally going to say that it could cure, say, blindness or spinal paralysis, but technology makes that irrelevant.

How do those sound?
TwistofCain
TwistofCain

Back to top Go down

Post by Uriel Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:40 pm

TwistofCain wrote:Ok, some ideas:

1. At first, Brennus is adamant abut telling the Emperor about Aubrey's Xenos, but the ole wiley Gray bastard puts Brennus off his footing with a sob story (because, well, he kind of really does have a legit one). That softens Brennus' heart enough that he agrees to keep the whole mess to himself.

2. Rather that Aubs suggesting that prisoners be given to the Kath, perhaps he mentions instead that lower level Kath infestation (the kind where you don't fully turn into one) can actually cure mutations, that a side effect is a purification of the human gene-code. Is this the truth? Maybe, maybe not. I was originally going to say that it could cure, say, blindness or spinal paralysis, but technology makes that irrelevant.

How do those sound?

1. That seems fine. What are Brennus' views on xenos? I mean aside from Aubrey's love of xenos, most primarchs are anti-xenos, obviously. However, that comes in different degrees; Golgothos is going to be zealously "xenos must die", where others will kill them but maybe first listen if they tried to talk. I mean Uriel is tolerant if they hold value to the benefit of the Great Crusade, but get killed as soon as they are of no longer of value. The point being there are degrees - so where does Brennus fall? - as that will largely dictate how well 1. works for the narrative. Brennus agreeing to keep Aubrey's secret after a sob story seems to imply Brennus isn't as hardline as others, but is that what you intend to portray?

2. Seems like something Aubrey would do: outright deceive or otherwise rationalise to see his desires met (not unlike a child...).
It'd actually give his "doctor/surgeon" angle some backing too, and set up some cool academic debate character arcs between Aubrey and Johannes over the science behind such a process.
Uriel
Uriel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TwistofCain Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:10 am

Uriel wrote:

1. That seems fine. What are Brennus' views on xenos? I mean aside from Aubrey's love of xenos, most primarchs are anti-xenos, obviously. However, that comes in different degrees; Golgothos is going to be zealously "xenos must die", where others will kill them but maybe first listen if they tried to talk. I mean Uriel is tolerant if they hold value to the benefit of the Great Crusade, but get killed as soon as they are of no longer of value. The point being there are degrees - so where does Brennus fall? - as that will largely dictate how well 1. works for the narrative. Brennus agreeing to keep Aubrey's secret after a sob story seems to imply Brennus isn't as hardline as others, but is that what you intend to portray?

Brennus is vaguely neutral about xenos. He would be more than happy to leave most of them alone, or bring them into the fold of humanity as a protectorate or client race, but usually they cause too many problems for the humans that he actually has a kingly duty to. The main exception is the Eldar, who unsettle Brennus. Alessia was once, in the distant past, ruled by Eldar, and a lot of their words descend from Eldar terms. The first time Brennus meets eldar, he actually greets them in a debased version of their tongue. But to him, they are essentially Seath (or fae people that aren't actively hostile), and so he both doesn't trust them and is careful to not antagonize them unduly. He is also one of the few Imperials who recognizes a distinction between Dark Eldar and the others: the DE are fomor, as opposed to seath.

2. Seems like something Aubrey would do: outright deceive or otherwise rationalise to see his desires met (not unlike a child...).
It'd actually give his "doctor/surgeon" angle some backing too, and set up some cool academic debate character arcs between Aubrey and Johannes over the science behind such a process.
That would be pretty boss, actually. I support that idea.

Now, if I can actually keep hold of enough energy this week to re-write this stuff...I am going to be working 10 hour days for the forseeable future, and also working overtime on weekends. Just shoot me now.
TwistofCain
TwistofCain

Back to top Go down

Post by TwistofCain Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:40 am

Ok, I edited one of my paragraphs a bit to show Brennus giving in slightly less quickyl. It still fits him, because he never looks for the Tarellians to be slain, but it's not quite as accepting. I will do more later, but weeks of working ten hour days have left me basically dead. I will try and do more sometime this week.

Brennus would not have to wait long for an explanation; in just over a week his Mannan Drak trackers had hunted down the source of their mystery benefactors. Brennus was stunned to learn that his men had found a force of reptilian xenos, wielding weapons similar to autoguns but firing corrosive shells, and with cloaks emblazoned with the Caduceus, Aubrey's Legion symbol. Brennus kept the matter as close to his chest as possible, quickly sending his equerry, Ferdiad, and a few of the men of 1st company in whom he had absolute trust. These men overpowered the Tarellians and brought them to the Long Arm, making sure to keep their presence a secret from anyone else aboard the ship; even those servitors that they interacted with were disposed of. Brennus quietly summoned his brother to a private meeting in his forge, where he expressed his emphatic distaste for fighting alongside xenos creatures, or what the High King called "fomor". The two argued vociferously over what was to be done with the Tarellians; Brennus was intent on seeing the whole lot of them sent back to Lazarus at the first possible opportunity. The High King was gurdgingly swayed after hearing Aubrey's tale of the hradships of his fostering on that world, and his dismay over The Emperor's dismissal of the race that had nurtured the wayward Primarch. Brennus still felt an intense distaste for the xenos, but did not wish to alienate the first of his brothers to fight alongside him.

TwistofCain
TwistofCain

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumey Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:36 am

You should rip off the Battle of the Allia with some non-Imperial human civilisation playing the part of the Romans.
Lumey
Lumey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum