The Hektor Heresy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nova Rosskya Interregnum

3 posters

Go down

Nova Rosskya Interregnum Empty Nova Rosskya Interregnum

Post by Alexandri of Rosskar Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Full credit for all ideas goes to Lumey, AKA Sinister Liege, AKA Froggy.

After a recent discussion with Lumey, he threw me some ideas. These ideas are going to help me complete the Silver Cataphracts, Rosskar, and the Rosskan Strelky. Now, this idea is that after Alexandri united Rosskar, he took it to the surrounding worlds establishing his own realm. Through colonization and conquest, Rosskan culture and language is spread out to six worlds. Many more worlds were allied to them, including the Forgeworld of Kyuw and the Knight-World of Nyeper. After being contacted by the Imperium, at the close of the Great Crusade the amount of Rosskan-speaking worlds grew to nineteen planets. Each of these planets was ruled by a Prince, subordinate to Alexandri directly. This became known as the Princely Enclave of Rosskar. The Enclave gives up most of its resources to supporting the Silver Cataphract Legion and Rosskan Strelky.

After Alexandri's death at the end of the Heresy, Rosskar was in too much of a ruined state to serve as the capital for the Enclave. New Rosskar, or Nova Rosskya, began the new silver crown of the Principalities. If I drew a map they'd be very much 'border gore'. They're spread out over lots of territory, but united by a common language, similar culture, and institutions created by Alexandri that persist after his demise.

Initially, the Enclave's power is a boon to the Imperium. Their assistance against W!TB and the Second Chaos Incursion proved the still functioning Strelky Regiments of the Imperial Guard were an effective fighting force in conjunction with the numerous Silver Cataphract Successors hailing from the Princely Realm. As time went on, the rest of the Imperium was continuously battered while the Principalities grew in strength. It seemed a small thing, as the territories were ruled by a Primarch and were extremely. In addition, some of the most dour and loyal Space Marine Chapters oversaw their compliance.

In the 34th Millennium, after being one of the wealthiest, centralized pieces of the of the Imperium their clout and political power have only expanded since the end of the Reformation period. It's a sign of prestige to be allied to one of the Rosskan Princes. Eventually, the Princes decide to band together to a greater degree than ever before. They crown one of their number as Emperor, and declare they are now the realm of the New Rosskan Rule, or the Nova Rosskyaka Imperii. This led to a state of war that lasted for nearly a thousand years, until the Rosskans were defeated and their numbers expelled out across the galaxy to keep them from ever uniting again. This was seen as a favorable alternative to total genocide. it is dubbed 'The Exile of a Trillion'. Old Rosskar, Alexandri's homeworld, was not complaint to Nova Rosskya and was burned down to a state it would never crawl back from.

Thoughts?
Alexandri of Rosskar
Alexandri of Rosskar

Back to top Go down

Nova Rosskya Interregnum Empty Re: Nova Rosskya Interregnum

Post by Uriel Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:11 pm

I like the first bit, although I think you'd need to justify why they grow in power while the rest of the Imperium declines - they might be autonomous, but they still answer to the Imperium and use Imperial administrative/political/economic machinery etc.

I'd suggest limiting their prestige and power to their Segmentum makes the most sense, as having people in the far east of Segmentum Ultima know who the Princes of Rosskar even are is ludicrous given the Imperium's size and lack of intra-sector communications.

Maybe the Princes could be linked with our Goge Vandire, siding with him, then sharing in the punishment/loss of prestige once he is brought down.

They crown one of their number as Emperor, and declare they are now the realm of the New Rosskan Rule, or the Nova Rosskyaka Imperii. This led to a state of war that lasted for nearly a thousand years
Firsty, a bunch of Rosskan sectors vs the entire Imperium... A thousand years of war? Thats perhaps a little optimistic, no? There'd likely be a crusade called, but even if not, the war might only last a hundred at a push.

Secondly, it doesn't work in the settings logic; They literally commit heresy against the Emperor, and *secede* from the Imperium, going as far as crowning one of their own Emperor. But for this are merely given a slap on the wrist and exiled?
Are they in a different galaxy to the Imperium?
They'd be annihilated for treason, and the =][= would stamp them out, along with their culture and their records in history just for good measure. Stalin would look like a paragon of human rights compared to what they would do to the princes.

Perhaps, as suggested above, their fall from grace is linked with Vandire rather than themselves rising up to take on the entire, galaxy-spanning Imperium by themselves.
They could be important for Vandire's hold over Segmentum Pacificus, and used as autonomous-Viceroys for his power.

Having the Phracts homeworld burned to the ground, after the Heresy's Rosskar incident is interesting, definitely adds to the dour vibe. What would it mean for the Phracts though?
Uriel
Uriel
Admin

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_/tg/_Heresy

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandri of Rosskar Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:04 pm

Uriel, it's the Nova Terra Interregnum. Most of what you take offense to here is just from GW, funny enough.

They would be consolidated to Pacificus, same as the Nova Terrans.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Nova_Terra_Interregnum

The war lasts for 900 years. Also it's not that the Rosskans are so good at fighting, its that the Imperium needs to carefully split its attention. Drawing troops from fronts as it can, amassing them to strike at a good time before something else comes up. Imagine the Tau Empire, how long they've been around. It's sort of like that. Plus the differences between these two factions is political, not even religious, so there isn't as much burning hatred as seen in other conflicts.

Except for the Silver Cataphract successors. They take this way personal.

The Nova Terra sets up the stage for Vandire. It severally weakens the Imperium and makes consolidating power around the overarching government a goal that paves the way for him to seize as much as he does.
Alexandri of Rosskar
Alexandri of Rosskar

Back to top Go down

Post by Uriel Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:17 pm

Fair enough, I think I read about them a long long long time ago. But only in passing.

But it doesn't change my points, they are still problems that are wildly illogical, and haven't we tried to improve on badly executed OU fluff where we find it? (Not that we achieve it, of course)
So why would we want to have such poorly thought out fluff in our AU?

The Tau are a separate issue though. They're kept alive by repeated author fiat to sell models.

And what they do is literally treasonous, as the Reformation has happened and the Ecclesiarchy has risen up with its God-Emperor worship, so any claim to be the Emperor would be heretical. Aside from that though, it's literally rebellion. The Imperium was thoroughly unforgiving of that before it got grimdark...

Uriel
Uriel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandri of Rosskar Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:53 pm

There are lots of dead at the end of it, and it isn't exactly forgiving. Plenty of Rosskans die on the journey, it's not a benevolent move. It's simply keeping the manpower still around rather than slaughtering them all.

Also keep in mind things happen very slowly after the Heresy, and the wars drag on for many many years. Vraks, which happens on just one world, takes generations. If the Rosskans dug in and took plenty of territory from the Imperium, while the Imperium has to fight wars on all fronts, it is going to take a long while.
Alexandri of Rosskar
Alexandri of Rosskar

Back to top Go down

Post by Uriel Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:10 am

I realise a lot of the issues I'm taking aren't you, but GW's writing. I just don't see why we'd settle for the same lazy lack of setting consistency for the sake of what exactly?

Alexandri of Rosskar wrote:There are lots of dead at the end of it, and it isn't exactly forgiving.
By the Imperium's standards, it is though. The Inquisition alone would be all over that shit.
If you want the Exodus bit, no compromise, then tying it directly to Vandire makes sense, even then there'd be huge purges and the Phracts would likely have to step in like Russ and the Wolves did at Armageddon.
The Imperium doesn't take revolt and heresy lightly, before and after the Heresy, but especially after.

It's simply keeping the manpower still around rather than slaughtering them all.
But the Imperium has *countless* manpower. The loss of even a few hundred billion isn't that big of a deal. Especially if its to quash all opposition to the Imperium's legitimacy/power.

Also keep in mind things happen very slowly after the Heresy, and the wars drag on for many many years. Vraks, which happens on just one world, takes generations. If the Rosskans dug in and took plenty of territory from the Imperium, while the Imperium has to fight wars on all fronts, it is going to take a long while.
Things happen slow, sure, but 1000 years is just stupid. It's exaggerating to make it sound super epic, but it looks like both sides are just utterly incompetent. Again, I know thats GW, but why would we support that sort of stupid writing?

And the Imperium does fight wars on all fronts, but its galaxy sized. We're talking a few sectors in a galaxy of countless sectors. The Imperium could easily spare manpower to deal with it, the administration and travel is what would take the actual time.

I've offered suggestions so it at least makes sense, if you don't like them, find other solutions. But it's kind of ridiculous as is.
Uriel
Uriel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumey Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:50 am

I think we walked away from that conversation with somewhat different concepts. Let me just lay out what's still in my mind, without commenting o what is better or worse in each.

My name for the Ur-Council's world was Novy Zemljá (New Earth). Partly that's a retread for Nova Terra, partly it's because I can't see "New Rosskar" pretending to Terra's Empire.

In terms of the origins, my understanding of the Reformed Imperium in Pacificus is that the Markians (broadly - the people of the Al-Sherar Sector) believe that they won the civil war. They come out of it without suffering huge losses, one of their own is the head of the Imperial Guard, and their most famous adopted son is the strong hand that has steadied the Imperial ship of state. (Some of this is just, like, their opinion, but that's how they see it.) So even though the Reformed Imperium is ruled from Terra, the Markians see it as their Imperium. During the couple of centuries of peace, the Al-Sherar Sector is a source of security and industrial aid for less fortunate worlds. And when the troubles start, Chasseur-pattern Regiments are dispatched to every corner of the galaxy. Slowly their golden age dies out, bled white from the wars of the Imperium.

The Rosskan sphere is a major beneficiary. They're populous and nearby, but several key worlds were attacked during the Heresy and they need to not only rebuild, but establish new colonies to produce rare materials. When WAAAGH!The Beast starts tearing through the Imperium, the Rosskans appeal to be allowed to keep their regiments home so that they can continue their rebuilding efforts. A kind of compromise is worked out: the sector is established as a Special Military District responsible for its own defence in any crisis short of a Primaris-scale incursion, but has minimal tithe responsibilities outside of its own sphere. It's intended to be a short-term measure, a touch of Imperial benevolence for a people who made great sacrifices during the Heresy.

But nobody ever thinks to dissolve the Rosskan Special Military District. Over the decades, a permanent military council is established on Novy Zemljá to govern the District's armed forces. The council quickly attains authority over civilian life as well - not that there was ever much of a separation among the Rosskans. They also start flexing their muscles in the surrounding sectors, co-operating with the Adeptus Astartes to carry out punitive raids on xenos outposts. (Mainly Orks. There are Orks everywhere.) Nearby Imperial Governors start calculating that aid from Novy Zemljá is going to arrive a lot sooner than it would from Terra, and the RSMD starts attracting an informal sphere of influence.

That's not such a big deal for an Imperium of a million worlds. The next transition point is during the next Imperial crisis, when the High Lords of Terra command the RSMD to deploy forces outside of their own area. The Council of Novy Zemljá insists that Terra has no authority to make such a command (citing the privileges of the RSMD) but states that they are more than willing to send troops to aid their fellow Imperial citizens if that is requested of them. Short-sighted pragmatism wins out on Terra and Novy Zemljá is asked to help.

That, I think, gets us to a position where Novy Zemljá has force and clout to be a pole of attraction opposed to Terra. I don't think they should crown an Emperor, because that's triple-Heresy. But if they aggressively interpret the charter of the RSMD, they could have other worlds join it and that would eventually send the Imperium towards civil war without anyone needing to be a Heretic. Actually, a smarter way to do this would be having the initiative to join the RSMD come from outside - governors thinking, "Well, the Rosskans are the ones who defend us, Terra just asks us to send troops to Ultima Segmentum. If we joined the RSMD, then we could keep our troops here or hereabouts and not have to go crying for help so often."
Lumey
Lumey

Back to top Go down

Post by Uriel Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:58 am

Lumey wrote:-snip-
Thats really pretty neat.

Would Vandire fit into that? Perhaps pandering to the RSMD to influence the speed of his own rise and rule?
Or perhaps his rise is sped by his opposition to it, increasing his influence at the expense of theirs?
Uriel
Uriel
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumey Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:05 am

If this is on the same timeframe as the NTI, it's M34-M35 stuff. Age of Apostasy is in M36.

The interregnum is a major transition event for the Imperial Cult and Ecclesiarchy. They go from a major religion recognised by the state to part of the Imperial apparatus for controlling the citizenry in this time - which has drastic effects in M36, but like I always say, "You can't make a mountain of dead horses without killing a few horses."
Lumey
Lumey

Back to top Go down

Post by Alexandri of Rosskar Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:48 am

Alright Lumey, I honestly like that more. Part of the reason is, Uriel is right here. He is fully correct in how the Imperium would respond to a new Emperor being elected.

The reason I didn't use Novy Zemljá is because in IRC the characters for Zemljá were coming up as a script error. So I didn't know the name itself.

Anyways, this has given me more food for thought.

What do you guys think of the Exile of a Trillion, in theory?

Alexandri of Rosskar
Alexandri of Rosskar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum